[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 5/11, 4:15, 36-428, Jordan,Stephen

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Fri May 8 08:28:34 EDT 2009

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 5/11 at 4:15 in 36-428

 Jordan,Stephen (Caltech)

Permutational Quantum Computation

Abstract:

In topological quantum computation the geometric details of a particle trajectory are irrelevant; only the topology matters. This is one reason for the inherent fault tolerance of topological quantum computation. I will describe a model in which this idea is taken one step further. Even the topology is irrelevant. The computation is determined solely by the permutation of the particles. Unlike topological quantum computation, which requires anyons, permutational quantum computations can in principle be performed by permuting ordinary spin-1/2 particles. It seems possible that permutational quantum computation is less powerful than standard quantum computation (BQP). Nevertheless I will present algorithms for this model which provide apparent exponential speedup over classical algorithms.