[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 2/2, 11:45, 4-331, Guifre Vidal

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:19:02 EST 2009

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 2/2 at 11:45 in 4-331

Guifre Vidal (University of Queensland)

Recent Progress in Entanglement Renormalization

Abstract:

Entanglement Renormalization (ER) has been proposed as a real space renormalization group transformation for quantum lattice systems in D spatial dimensions [Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 220405 (2007)]. Its main novelty is the use of disentanglers, namely unitary transformations that act accross a spin block boundary, to remove short-range entanglement from the system's ground state. In this talk I will first review the basic concepts underlying ER and then present a summary of the most recent results. Specifically, I intend to describe the simulation of lattice systems at a quantum critical point by exploiting scale invariance; and the simulation of two dimensional lattice systems that are beyond the reach of Monte Carlo sampling techniques, including spin models of frustrated antiferromagnets.