[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 12/1, 4:15, 36-428, Wootters,William

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:41:00 EST 2008

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 12/1 at 4:15 in 36-428

 Wootters,William (Williams College)

The Entanglement Cost of a Nonlocal Measurement

Abstract:

For a joint measurement on a pair of spatially separated quantum objects, one can ask how much entanglement is needed to carry out the measurement using only local operations and classical communication.  In this talk I focus on a particular orthogonal measurement on two qubits with partially entangled eigenstates, for which we can find upper and lower bounds on the entanglement cost.  The lower bound implies that the entanglement required to perform the measurement is strictly greater than the average entanglement of the eigenstates.  I also consider other examples, including a simple two-qubit product- state measurement that cannot be performed locally.