[QIP-Sem] Two talks, Monday and Wednesday, in Quantum Information Seminar

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Mon May 14 11:18:54 EDT 2007

Monday, 5/14, 4pm
Quantum Information Processing Seminar
"Efficient quantum algorithms for an additive approximation of the Tutte
 polynomial and the q-state Potts model."
Speaker: Itai Arad (Hebrew University, Jerusalem)
Host: Peter Shor
Location: CUA conference room, 26-214

Wednesday 5/16, 4pm
Special Quantum Information Processing Seminar
"Physical and information-theoretic aspects of generalized entanglement"
Speaker: Lorenza Viola (Dartmouth)
Host: Peter Shor
Location: CUA conference room, 26-214

Abstract for Arad's talk:
I will present an efficient quantum algorithm for an additive
approximation of the famous Tutte polynomial of any planar graph at
any point. The Tutte polynomial captures an extremely wide range of
interesting combinatorial properties of graphs, including the partition
function of the q-state Potts model. This provides a new class of
quantum complete problems.
     Our methods generalize the recent AJL algorithm for the
approximation of the Jones polynomial; instead of using unitary
representations, we allow non-unitary, which seems counter intuitive
in the quantum world. Significant contribution of this is a proof
that non-unitary operators can be used for universal quantum
computation.

Abstract for Viola's talk:
Generalized entanglement has recently emerged as a unifying framework
capable of overcoming the limitations of standard subsystem-based
entanglement and of bridging to various physical and information-theoretic
aspects of "complexity". After reviewing the essential background
underlying the generalized entanglement notion, I will focus on
highlighting applications where the latter genuinely expands conventional
entanglement settings -- including indecomposable quantum systems,
indistinguishable fermions, and chaotic quantum systems. I will then turn
the attention to address "classicality" properties of generalized
un-entangled states -- by showing how, under appropriate assumptions, they
both minimize uncertainty as quantified by the quantum Fisher information
and emerge as "pointer states" under decoherence.

Relevant URL(S): http://qis.mit.edu/seminars.php

For more information please contact: Peter Shor, 3-4362,
shor at math.mit.edu