[QIP-Sem] QIP Seminar at 4pm in 26-214

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:26:36 EDT 2006

Speaker: Martin Roetteler (NEC labs)

Title: Quantum convolutional codes

Quantum convolutional codes can be used to protect a stream of quantum
bits against errors when sending them along a quantum channel. We review
the code conditions for quantum convolutional codes, give some basic code
constructions, and motivate the notion of catastrophic errors. We present
an algorithm to compute a constant depth quantum circuit which can be used
to perform non-catastrophic encoding and inverse encoding. We also show
that the encoders and their inverses constructed by our method naturally
can be applied online, i.e., qubits can be sent and received with constant
delay.
This is joint work with Markus Grassl (U Karlsruhe); quant-ph/0602129