[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Series - Luming Duan

Isaac Chuang ichuang at mit.edu
Wed Nov 2 13:56:12 EST 2005

The MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Series

Our seventh seminar of the Fall 2005 semester:

Speaker:  Luming Duan
          University of Michigan

Time:     4:00pm (following refreshments)
Date:     Monday, November 7, 2005
Location: CUA conference room, 26-214

Title: Probabilistic quantum computation, and quantum simulation with
       resonantly interacting atoms in an optical lattice

Abstract:

  In the first part of my talk, I will show to do efficient quantum
  computation with probabilistic entangling gates. For this special
  noise model, basically one can achieve fault tolerant computation
  with 100% error threshold. For the second part, I will show how to
  simulate a class of many-body physics with resonantly interacting
  fermions in an optical lattice. I derive an effective Hamiltonian
  for fermions in an optical lattice across Feshbach resonance, and
  the model describes a lattice resonance between local dressed
  molecules and valence bonds of atoms on neighboring sites. It
  reduces to the fundamental t-J model form atoms or the XXZ model for
  dressed molecules on different sides of such a resonance.