[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Series - Patrick Hayden (Monday 03-Oct-05)

Isaac Chuang ichuang at mit.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:51:48 EDT 2005

The MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Series

Our third seminar of the Fall 2005 semester:

Speaker:  Patrick Hayden
            School of Computer Science
              McGill University

Time:     4:00pm
Date:     Monday, October 3, 2005
Location: CUA conference room, 26-214

Title:    Network quantum information theory: So it's not a
          jungle after all

Abstract:

Over the past few years, most of the basic problems of single-sender,
single-receiver quantum information theory have been solved. In
particular, many varieties of capacity of a quantum channel are now
not only understood, but understood to be intimately related to each
other. In contrast, multiuser quantum information theory experienced a
few false starts over the same period before entering its current
phase of rapid advance, ushered in not only by improvements in
technique, but by some judicious choices of problem formulation as
well. In this seminar, I'll survey recent work with my collaborators
on distributed data compression, single-sender/multiple-receiver
(broadcast) quantum channels and multiple-sender/single-receiver
(multiple access) quantum channels, emphasizing the many connections
between the various problems, some of the pitfalls we've experienced
along the way, and the many open problems remaining.