[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Announcement

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 27 09:43:23 EDT 2005

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, May 2nd at
16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Quantum Cryptography in Practice

by Chip Elliott (Principal Engineer, DARPA Quantum Network Project,
BBN Technologies, Cambridge, MA)

ABSTRACT

This talk reports the current status of the DARPA Quantum Network,
which became fully operational in BBN's Cambridge laboratory in
October 2003, and has been continuously running in 6 nodes operating
through telecommunications fiber between Harvard University, Boston
University, and BBN since June 2004. The DARPA Quantum Network is the
world's first quantum cryptography network, and the first QKD system
providing continuous operation across a metropolitan area. Four more
nodes have recently added to bring the total to 10 QKD nodes,
implemented with a variety of QKD technologies, including
phase-modulated lasers through fiber, entanglement through fiber, and
freespace QKD. We provide a basic introduction and rational for this
network, discuss the current status of the various QKD hardware
suites and software systems in the network, and describe our
operational experience with the DARPA Quantum Network to date. We
conclude with a discussion of our ongoing work.