[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Announcement

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 31 09:47:29 EST 2005

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, April 4th at
16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Superconductive Quantum Computing at MIT Lincoln Laboratory and the MIT Campus

by Dr. William D. Oliver (MIT Lincoln Laboratory)

ABSTRACT

MIT Lincoln Laboratory has a superconductor-based quantum computing
(QC) program comprising experimental, theoretical, and fabrication
efforts aimed at demonstrating and improving single-qubit figures of
merit (e.g., Rabi fringe contrast, decoherence times), with a
longer-term vision towards coupled qubits and, ultimately,
demonstrations of the subsystem integration required for scalable
quantum computing.

We begin this talk with a presentation of our QC efforts during the
past 12 months with our collaborators at the MIT campus; the focus
will be qubit measurement and fabrication. MIT Lincoln Laboratory
designed, implemented, and automated a time-resolved
persistent-current-qubit readout in the MIT dilution refrigerator
capable of nanosecond-scale resolution measurements. We used this
readout to map the qubit energy-band diagram, match it to simulation,
and demonstrate multi-photon transitions. We also have preliminary,
albeit weak, Rabi oscillation data; we understand and will discuss
what limits the oscillations for this particular qubit design. In
addition, we have fabricated and prototyped a resonant-circuit-based
qubit readout with the explicit aim of reducing qubit decoherence.

In parallel, we have reassessed and refocused our qubit fabrication
at MIT Lincoln Laboratory. We will present the results of this
reassessment: a new deep-submicron qubit fabrication process (DSM-1).
DSM-1 is a fully-planarized Nb-trilayer process which provides
high-yield and reproducible structures, including Josephson
junctions, capacitors, inductors, and resistors. It was specifically
designed to realize the more sophisticated ancillary circuits
required for improved qubit readout and decoherence times which are
difficult to realize using the conventional shadow-evaporation
approach. Using the DSM-1 process, we have demonstrated Josephson
junctions smaller than 100 nm and critical current densities ranging
from 30 A/cm2 to 10 KA/cm2. We have also fabricated and begun testing
at 15 mK qubits using the DSM-1 process. We will discuss why these
new DSM qubits should exhibit improved decoherence times.