[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Reminder

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 1 02:59:37 EST 2004

This week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, November 1st
at 16:00 in 4-237, and features:

How to Build a Quantum Computer Out of Spin Chains

by Andrew Landahl (MIT Media Lab)

ABSTRACT

Quantum circuits are built out of quantum wires and quantum gates.
For applications in which quantum bits are spins packed at high
density, like the hard drive of a quantum computer, it is worthwhile
to examine how well spin-spin interactions can implement these wires
and gates directly, without the need for external dynamical control.
In this talk I present spin networks of Heisenberg and XY
interactions that act as perfect quantum wires---quantum states
transfer across them with unit fidelity.  I show that perfect
communication length scales logarithmically when all bonds have the
same strength, and how to engineer bond strengths so that arbitrary
length perfect quantum communication is possible.  I conclude by
showing how to extend perfect quantum wires to perfect quantum gates
using some well-known ideas proven by Feynman in the late 1980s.

Next Monday: Karol Zyczkowski (Visiting Scientist, Perimeter Inst.)
will be speaking "On the duality between quantum states and quantum
maps".