[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Reminder

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 25 05:33:17 EDT 2004

This week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, Oct. 25 at
16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Bipartite Entanglement and Entropic Boundary Law in Lattice Spin Systems

by Paola Zanardi (Institute for Scientific Interchange Foundation,
Torino, Italy)

ABSTRACT

We investigate bipartite entanglement in spin-1/2 systems on a
generic lattice. For states that are an equal superposition of
elements of a group G of spin flips acting on the fully polarized
state $\ket{0}^{\otimes n}$, we find that the von Neumann entropy
depends only on the boundary between the two subsystems A and B.
These states are stabilized by the group G. A physical realization of
such states is given by the ground state manifold of the Kitaev's
model on a Riemann surface of genus g. For a square lattice, we find
that the entropy of entanglement is bounded from above and below by
functions linear in the perimeter of the subsystem A and is equal to
the perimeter (up to an additive constant) when A is convex. The
entropy of entanglement is shown to be related to the topological
order of this model. Finally, we find that some of the ground states
are absolutely entangled, i.e., no partition has zero entanglement.
We also provide several examples for the square lattice.

Next week's feature: Andrew Landahl from MIT.