[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Reminder

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 16 12:20:09 EDT 2004

This week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, Oct. 18 at
16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Modelling Decoherence in Quantum Lattice Gases

by Peter Love (Tufts Univ. Math. Dept.)

ABSTRACT

Quantum lattice gases are known to reproduce the Dirac equation in
one dimension and the Schroedinger equation in D dimensions. They
also represent quantum algorithms for the simulation of quantum
systems with an exponential performance advantage over their
implementation on classical computers. These models are therefore of
interest both as classical algorithms for modelling quantum systems
and as algorithms which may be efficiently implemented on future
quantum computers.

In both cases, the role of decoherence arising from the interaction
of the model with an environment is of interest. If we consider these
models in the context of simulation of quantum systems, the
introduction of an environment is of interest from the point of view
of correspondence. If we consider these models as quantum algorithms
the introduction of an environment enables us to study the effect of
a finite error rate in our quantum computer. In this talk, we discuss
one method of coupling quantum lattice gases to an environment and
present simulation and analytic results for this error model.

Next week's feature: Paolo Zanardi (ISI, Italy) will speak on
"Bipartite Entanglement and Entropic Boundary Law in Lattice Spin
Systems".