[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Announcement

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Wed May 12 09:30:23 EDT 2004

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, May 17 at
16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Quantum Computing, Zeroes of Zeta Functions & Approximate Counting

by Wim van Dam (CMI Postdoctoral Fellow at MIT)

ABSTRACT

In this talk I describe a possible connection between quantum
computing and Zeta functions of finite field equations that is
inspired by the 'spectral approach' to the Riemann conjecture.  The
assumption is that the zeroes of such Zeta functions correspond to
the eigenvalues of finite dimensional unitary operators of natural
quantum mechanical systems.  To model the desired quantum systems I
use the notion of universal, efficient quantum computation.

Using eigenvalue estimation, such quantum systems are able to
approximately count the number of solutions of the specific finite
field equations with an accuracy that does not appear to be feasible
classically. For certain equations (Fermat hypersurfaces) I show that
one can indeed model their Zeta functions with efficient quantum
algorithms, which gives some evidence in favour of the proposal.

Last seminar of the term; have a cool summer!