[QIP-Sem] MIT Quantum Information Processing Seminar Reminder

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 15 08:33:51 EST 2004

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place as usual on Monday, the
Ides of March at 16:00 in 4-237, and features:

Quantum Search on Bounded-Error Inputs

by Prof. Michele Mosca (Inst. for Quantum Computing, Univ. of
Waterloo and Perimeter Inst. for Theoretical Physics)

ABSTRACT

Suppose we have n algorithms, quantum or classical, each computing
some bit-value with bounded error probability. We describe a quantum
algorithm that uses O(ˆn) repetitions of the base algorithms and with
high probability finds the index of a 1-bit among these n bits (if
there is such an index). This shows that it is not necessary to first
significantly reduce the error probability in the base algorithms to
O(1/poly(n)) (which would require $O(ˆn/log n)$ repetitions in
total). Our technique is a recursive interleaving of amplitude
amplification and error-reduction, and may be of more general
interest. Essentially, it shows that quantum amplitude amplification
can be made to work also with a bounded-error verifier.

(Joint work with Peter Hoyer and Ronald de Wolf)

No seminar next week due to Spring Break.