[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Announcement

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 17 15:13:52 EST 2004

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday, February 23rd
at 16:00 hours in MIT room 4-237, and features:

Zero-Knowledge Proofs Withstanding Quantum Attacks

by Dr. Louis Salvail (Computer Science, Univ. of Aarhus, Denmark)

ABSTRACT

The  concept of zero-knowledge (ZK) proof has become of fundamental
importance in cryptography. However, in a setting where entities are
modeled by quantum computers, classical arguments for proving ZK fail
to hold. Specifically, in the quantum setting, the concept of
rewinding is not generally applicable, and protocols that are
classically proven to be ZK may be insecure. Moreover, known
classical techniques that avoid rewinding have various shortcomings
in the quantum setting.

In this talk, I shall introduce new techniques for building
zero-knowledge protocols secure against quantum adversaries (QZK
protocols). We will see how to obtain QZK proofs and  perfect QZK
arguments for any NP language in the common reference string model.
Underlying this is a general method to convert an important class of
classical honest-verifier ZK (HVZK) proofs into "quantum" ZK (QZK)
proofs that remain secure even under (active) quantum attacks. This
leads to quite practical protocols if the underlying HVZK proof is
efficient.

As part of the construction, we propose a general framework for
building unconditionally hiding(trapdoor) string commitment schemes,
secure against quantum attacks, as well as concrete instantiations
based on specific (believed to be) hard problems. This is of
independent interest, as these are the first  unconditionally hiding
string commitment schemes withstanding quantum attacks.