[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Announcement

Timothy F. Havel tfhavel at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 3 14:14:01 EDT 2003

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday October 6 at
16:00 hours in room 4-270, and features:

Toward Laser Cooling of Hydrogen with Mode-Locked Lasers

by Dave Kielpinski (MIT Physics)

ABSTRACT

I will describe experiments now in preparation for laser-cooling of
hydrogen. Our new laser cooling method, which uses mode-locked
lasers, can cool atomic species whose level structure makes
traditional laser cooling difficult, e.g. hydrogen. We will apply
this technique to obtain up to 109 H atoms at mK temperatures,
starting from a helium-cooled H beam at 10 K. The technique
generalizes trivially to cooling of deuterium and antihydrogen. Laser
cooling of carbon also appears feasible.