[QIP-Sem] MIT QIP Seminar Announcement

QIP-Sem Mailing List qip-sem-own at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 18 08:23:48 EDT 2003

Next week's MIT QIP seminar will take place on Monday September 22nd
at 16:00 hours in room 4-270, and features:

The Minimum Distance Problem for Two-Way Entanglement Purification

by Daniel Gottesman (Perimeter Institute, CANDADA)

ABSTRACT

Entanglement purification protocols (EPPs) with one-way classical
communications are equivalent to quantum error-correcting codes.  The
problem of designing such codes has been studied both for maximum
likelihood decoding for large block sizes and asymptotically high
fidelity, and in the minimum distance variant, usually for fixed
small block sizes, in which the number of allowed errors is strictly
bounded.  EPPs using two-way classical communications are known to be
substantially more powerful than one-way EPPs for the maximum
likelihood decoding problem, at least as far as allowable error rate.

We study the analog of the minimum distance problem for two-way EPPs,
in which Alice and Bob wish to extract at least k EPR pairs from an
initial set of n pairs, given that errors have occurred on no more
than t of the original pairs.  We show that two-way EPPs can be
better than any quantum error-correcting code in this scenario, and
give examples of two-way EPPs that exceed both the quantum Hamming
bound and the quantum Singleton bound.  We also show that two-way
EPPs in this minimum distance scenario can asymptotically achieve the
quantum Hamming bound with a fixed fraction of errors, whereas the
best known lower bound on the existence of quantum codes is the
quantum Gilbert-Varshamov bound, allowing only half the error rate
for the same data rate.

This is joint work with Andris Ambainis.