[Purple-Blurb] Fall 2014 Events

Nick Montfort nickm at nickm.com
Thu Sep 11 13:27:14 EDT 2014

This fall Purple Blurb is taking a different shape, blurb that it is.

We have *one* big event, co-sponsored with the MIT Communications Forum,
with two guest speakers, moderated by me, Trope Tank director Nick
Montfort. This is “Making Computing Strange” on December 4, and is on the
bottom of the list below.

I also am taking part in several events in the Boston Area related to
digital writing - five of them. I’m letting you know about these on the
list below, too.

And, Purple Blurb is looking to set up as many as three additional
“Renderings conversations” to follow the one we had this summer with
Robert Pinsky. These are open to the public, will take place in a seminar
room at a table, and will involve readings, discussion, and short
exercises related to our Renderings project, to translate computational
literary works from other languages into English.

The Renderings conversation schedule is not set, but we plan for these to
take place at 5:15pm Wednesdays near the Trope Tank at MIT.

If you are interested in the translation of digital writing, please send
me an email so we see about getting together individually or at a regular
Trope Tank meeting as well as for these Renderings conversations. Everyone
is welcome, but since these are participatory discussions, I do not plan
to announce each one on the Purple Blurb list.

Here are the other events for the semester, all of which are free, no
reservation required, and open to the public:

September 12, Friday (tomorrow!), 6pm-8pm
   Boston Cyberarts Gallery, 141 Green Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
“Collision21: More Human” exhibit opens. Up through October 26.
“From the Tables of My Memorie” by Montfort, an interactive
video installation, is included.

September 18, Thursday, 7pm-8pm
   Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA
Montfort reads from #!, World Clock, and the new paperback 10 PRINT
http://www.harvard.com/event/nick_montfort/

September 24, Wednesday, 7:30pm
   Boston Cyberarts Gallery, 141 Green Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
Montfort joins a panel of artists in “Collision21: More Human”
for this Art Technology New England discussion.
http://atne.org/events/sept-24th-collision21-more-human/

October 22, Wednesday, 6:30pm-7:30pm
   The Atrium of MIT’s Building E15 (“Old Media Lab”/Wiesner Building)
Montfort reads from #! at the List Visual Arts Center
http://counterpathpress.org/nick-montfort

November 15, Saturday, 9am-3pm
   MIT (specific location TBA)
Urban Poetry Lateral Studio, a master class by Montfort for MIT’s SA+P
http://sap.mit.edu/event/urban-poetry-lateral-studio

December 4, Thursday, 5pm-7pm
   MIT’s 66-110
“Making Computing Strange,” a forum with:
   Lev Manovich (Software Takes Command, The Language of New Media)
   Fox Harrell (Phantasmal Media)
   moderated by Nick Montfort
The forum will examine the ways in which computational models can be
used in cultural contexts for everything from analyzing media to
imagining new ways to represent ourselves.
http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/forums/makingcomputing.html

Have a great end of summer and a great fall, and I’ll hope to see you at
some of these.

  -Nick