[Purple-Blurb] Two Blurblets soon; full series resumes in Spring

Nick Montfort nickm at nickm.com
Tue Oct 26 22:50:36 EDT 2010

Dear Purple Blurbers,

Sorry for not mentioning it sooner -- I'm on leave (sabbatical) this
semester and don't have teaching or related responsibilities at MIT. So,
as I dutifully focus on research and creative projects, Purple Blurb is
also on leave. We'll both be back in February 2011 for the Spring
semester.

In the meantime, there are two mini-Blurb events that may be of interest
to you:

(1) November 2 book release party for my Riddle & Bind
(2) November 7 codefest for my interactive fiction system, Curveship

(1) My book of poems Riddle & Bind (with an official publication date of
October 31) is out. One day Amazon will have an image of the cover. But
for now, anyone can order the book through either Amazon or Spineless
Books, which does have an image of the cover:

http://spinelessbooks.com/riddle

There’s a book release party happening here in Cambridge, in Harvard
Square:

Grafton Street Restaurant and Bar
1230 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138

Tuesday November 2
6-9pm

You’re invited to stop by, peruse the book, and hang out with us. The book
will be available for sale, too, but if you just want to come by and flip
through it, or try to crack the code of Christian Bök’s encrypted
back-cover blurb, that’s fine too. Grafton Street serves fine food and
drink, and you’re welcome to purchase yourself some of it -- there are no
retail obligations, though.

(2) If you have some experience programming in Python (it need not be
extensive) and would like to spend a good bit of November 7 helping me
with my interactive fiction system, Curveship, please send me an email for
details on this gathering.

Thanks to a great suggestion from Prof. Fox Harrell, I’ll be hosting a
one-day Curveship Codefest. People are welcome to write games, to write
spin (ways of narrating), and to hack on the core Curveship system with
me. We’ll be working toward a release of Curveship under a free software
license in December or January.

I'm working with others to line up some great events for Spring 2011. I
hope to see you at one or both of these -- but in any case, will look
forward to catching up with you next semester.

  -Nick

--
-   Nick Montfort         nickm at nickm.com     http://nickm.com