[Purple-Blurb] Beth Coleman presents "Boba Fett' Day Off"

Nick Montfort nickm at nickm.com
Mon Apr 7 13:57:31 EDT 2008

Tomorrow (Tuesday April 8) from 6pm-7pm Beth Coleman, assistant professor
of writing and new media in the Program in Writing and Humanistic Studies
and Comparative Media Studies, will speak to Purple Blurb and show us some
of her work.

Specifically, she will tell us about a large-scale machinima project now
in progress, Boba Fett's Day Off, and about how writing (a role she takes
in the project) plays a part in the ongoing, collaborative process of
developing that piece.

If word of machinima -- the practice of creating motion pictures using game
engines and virtual environments -- has not reached you, this will be an
ideal opportunity to learn about it from a leading machinima thinker and
artist. If you know about machinima, you probably know how widespread and
accessible work in the form is. Statements from artists and inquiries into
the process of creating work of this sort are not yet as widely available
as are machinima works themselves, however.

What you cannot easily find by Googling will be available to you tomorrow
in the Trope Tank, room 14N-233 of MIT. You don't have to go all the way
to the San Francisco Art Institute or the Museum of the Moving Image, two
of several places worldwide where Beth has spoken about her work as a
writer and artist. I hope you will take this opportunity to join us. I'm
certainly looking forward to Beth's presentation and our conversation.

Beth Coleman
Boba Fett's Day Off
The Trope Tank, 14N-233, MIT
6pm-7pm, Tuesday 8 April 2008