[OWW-SC] Fwd: [Oww-Feedback] Feedback Message (from Dr Alejo Corrales)

Reshma Shetty rshetty at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 19 12:12:27 EST 2008

Hi all,

http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:General_disclaimer
Please feel free to amend.

I think the mechanism for easier feedback to OWW is great.  (Props to Julius
for suggesting it and Bill for deploying it so quickly).  But I do agree
with Jason that OWW should not provide a general mechanism for people
without OWW accounts to contact OWW members.  I think OWW users,
specifically occasional users, could become quickly turned off by a site
that enabled them to get spammed.  Especially since people are probably
likely to use their "real" email address to register with OWW rather than
their "spam" webmail address.

I'm also pretty wary of allowing anonymous posts to user talk pages.  I
think it just invites wiki spam and most OWW users including myself don't
want to have to deal with clearing spam even from just their user talk
page.  (Based on wikiomics' experience, it can be pretty easy for the spam
engines to bury pages in links to britney spears pics.)

Personally, I'd prefer to continue with the feedback system as an email form
which anyone can use.  We can relay messages to the intended recipient as
needed.  If this option becomes untenable (i.e. a flood of messages not re
OWW but re individual pages), then we can reassess.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,

Reshma