[OWW-SC] Another new search feature:OpenSearch service advertising is now enabled for OpenWetWare

Bill Flanagan wjf42 at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 14 10:18:07 EST 2008

I've enable the "Advertise Opensearch" feature on OpenWetware.

OpenSearch is a feature that MediaWikis provides that allows any site
complying with a search spec called "OpenSearch", pioneered by Amazon's A9
Search engine, to "snap in" as  your default or a configurable search
engine.

To see the feature (or use it), your browser looks in the header of HTML
pages generated by a website. For Firefox, this is how to enable it.

I. Locate the browser search bar at the top right of your browser window.
2. Click on the down-arrow just to the right of the current registered
search engine. You'll notice it by the small icon.
3. A drop-down list will appear. You should see OpenWetware as one of the
options.
4. Select it as your current search engine.
5. All search in  that box, no matter where you are, will be done using
OpenWetWare's search box.
6. Results will appear as a new OpenWetWare page.

You can also customize the list by moving OpenWetWare up to the top of the
list. This will display it first when you go to select a new search engine.

This has nothing to do with the Local Search feature for OWW I'm working on
at the moment. But, it may. More on that when I can say something
intelligent about it!

Meanwhile, searching within OWW becomes a little bit more flexible.

Thanks.

B.