[OWW-SC] page DOIs

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Tue Sep 18 14:38:50 EDT 2007

Drew Endy <endy at MIT.EDU> mumbled mindlessly:

> Austin,
>
> This looks interesting.  But, what is the DOI of the page (in your
> example)?
>
> Can I share "doi: oww70777" in order to point people to this page?

    To be clear, it's not a "doi." You would have to reference
    http://doi.openwetware.org/oww70777

    We could just as easily make it
    http://foo.openwetware.org/oww70777

    The only reason it says doi is because this is social engineering
    and not a technical solution over what currently exists.

"Julius B. Lucks" <julius at younglucks.com> spake sagely:
> This is interesting.  How would you construct the DOI for an arbitrary
> oww page - through the oldid?  How would we make oww DOI's  work with
> real doi resolvers (like dx.doi.org)?  Do we have to  'register' oww
> DOI's, or an oww DOI schema anywhere to make them more  official?

    Yes the oldid is a unique id for each revision and you can just
    use that. To get real DOIs and make them official like you're
    talking about costs $25K/year.

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899