[OWW-SC] OWW Publishing with arXiv.org

Julius B. Lucks julius at younglucks.com
Wed Oct 31 11:04:40 EDT 2007

Hi Bill and John (and SC),

I just had this idea so please excuse its half-bakedness.  What about
promoting 'publishing' of oww materials on arXiv.org?

arXiv.org already has a quantitative biology section (http://
arxiv.org/list/q-bio/new), and I am willing to bet that essentially
all papers coming out of the OWW community could fit into this
section.  The arXiv allows you to post paper pre-prints online for
free, and it is completely open access.  Every e-print has associated
with it a unique id, that is completely referenceable in papers,
etc.  In addition, if you do publish your paper in a journal, you can
update arXiv e-print metadata with the journal reference, or a DOI of
the journal article.

Compared to an alliance with Nature or some other body, promoting
'publishing' on the arXiv has many advantages:

1.) It already exists and no agreement or negotiations need to be
made to use it.  There is a very mild form of control in that people
that are new to the arXiv system must be 'endorsed' by existing
people, but this can be gotten around until enough OWW people are
themselves endorsers.

2.) It provides all the functionality we want - some sort of official
stamp on an OWW document in the form of an e-print that is completely
referenceable and is more like a paper than a wiki page.  In fact,
the arXiv supports the notion of versions, so that you can always
submit a newer version of a resource, keeping complete access to
older versions.

3.) There are many tools already in place, or being developed that we
can integrate the arXiv with OWW.  As Bill knows, the arXiv already
has an API that allows you to pull content from the arXiv into OWW
trivially (by just specifying e-print id).  In addition, this API
supplies journal references and DOI's if they are present, so it
would be very easy to create references in the biblio extension for
both the e-print and the published version.  Also, there is an ingest
API in active development (and soon to be released) with which we
could easily create our long-dreamed-of 'publish' button on OWW that
could automatically publish an OWW page.

4.) Journals will accept papers that have been posted on the arXiv
already.  In particular, Nature has committed to this as is evident
on the Nature Proceedings page (http://precedings.nature.com/
about#journal-submissions)

"Nature Precedings hosts manuscripts that may be submitted to any
journal of any publisher. Nature and all Nature journals have a
policy that permits such posts on recognized pre- or e-print servers
such as Nature Precedings and arXiv without affecting their
eligibility for publication, whether or not such postings result in
discussion on other sites and in the media. We cannot take
responsibility for the possibility of scooping by competitors.
Authors submitting to other journals are advised to check their
policies about prior postings before sending manuscripts to Nature
Precedings."

(In fact, Nature Precedings was heavily inspired by the arXiv.)

5.) If the quantitative biology community grows and needs more of a
refined categorization (such as synthetic biology, etc.), the arXiv
can expand its categorization scheme (which is how the q-bio section
started in the first place).

6.) Integrating with the arXiv integrates what OWW is doing with the
physics, math and computer science communities.

This is juts a brainstorm, but it seems to me like the arXiv could
provide the avenue that we have been thinking about in the OWW
publishing arena.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Julius