[OWW-SC] USB Label Printers

Tom Knight tk at csail.mit.edu
Tue Oct 16 18:40:57 EDT 2007

We use Brother P-touch labels, primarily black on white 3/4" wide
(TZ-241 tape).  This has shown to be stable both during autoclaving and
-80 freezing.

The labels I make have initials in the lower left corner and an
automatically created date in the lower right corner.  The rest is a
centered free-text label.  I have templates for three sizes -- one for
large bottles, one for cryotubes and eppendorfs, and a third for slim
tubes such as screw cap tubes.

I like to print an extra copy labels that I make to paste into the
notebook.

Eventually, bar codes will be important.

I run it from a Mac, but the same label maker works on PCs as well.
The model I use is the P-Touch Pro-XL, but they all work essentially
the same.