[OWW-SC] More changes coming as part of the OWW Lab Notebook Working Group.

Mackenzie Cowell macowell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 22:23:48 EDT 2007

It's plausible to imagine implementing a web-based barcode scanner in flash
or java.  Someone has actually already done so here and released the source
under CCA-2.5 license: http://en.barcodepedia.com/download

I'm not sure how well it works or if it can read semacodes, but I bet we
could use it as a starting point.

Mac

On 11/1/07, Bill F <bill.altmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. very small, for narrow screw top bottles: 1.3"
> 2. small, for eppendorfs, cryotubes and other small containers: 1.5"
> 3. large, for everything else, mostly media bottles and flat surfaces; 2.5"
> Size on this one is not so critical.
>
> I think we want some standardization of these sizes.
> >> Excellent starting point.
> >> We will have a standard set of labels each defined on an OWW page.
> >> These won't be MediaWiki template pages, just print templates that can
> be added by anyone.
>
> The small and very small labels can't really be larger or much smaller.
> You want them to fit all the way around the container so that they stick
> to themselves, but not overlap so much that the text is obscured.
> I suppose a small vertical bar code would be best, or maybe one of the
> square styles.
> >> I'm currently working with a standard rectangular barcode printing
> library.
> >> The smaller the barcode, the higher the scanner resolution required.
> >> The square barcodes look interesting. Austin pointed to one system. I'm
> looking into it.
>
> There are a lot of systems out there which use pre-coded barcodes, such as
> the Thermo system used at Addgene.  We need to support these as well.
> >> I'm still looking for info re: the Thermo system.
> >> I signed up with Addgene to look at their interface.
> >> Once Jason OK's me (I affiliated with Endy Lab's existing entry) I'll
> have full access.
>
> There should be a way of showing a bar code to the reader and having that
> barcode be remembered and associated with that lab notebook page.
> >> If the Evological Mac package for using the iSight camera pans out,
> this is a good place for it.
> >> The evological app is fully scriptable.
> >> Using a barcode reader on any computer (mac or pc) works the same way.
> >> The output from either is standard keyboard codes/ ascii alphanumeric
> characters.
> >> We can provide a pretty simple network interface to accept the barcode
> number and
> >> a related set of fields from the desktop script and post it to a wiki
> page.
>

> On Nov 1, 2007 6:38 PM, Tom Knight <tk at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > These are terrific features.  Just a note on the labels idea.  I have
> > three standard labels I make.  Each has my initials and the
> > (automatically created) date in the lower left and right corners and a
> > spot for the main centered text.  All use the 3/4" wide tape, and are
> > of these lengths:
> > very small, for narrow screw top bottles: 1.3"
> > small, for eppendorfs, cryotubes and other small containers: 1.5"
> > large, for everything else, mostly media bottles and flat surfaces;
> > 2.5"  Size on this one is not so critical.
> >
> > I think we want some standardization of these sizes.  The small and
> > very small labels can't really be larger or much smaller.  You want
> > them to fit all the way around the container so that they stick to
> [...]

Mac Cowell
iGEM Coordinator
igem.org
231.313.9062