[OWW-SC] microformats

Mackenzie Cowell macowell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:47:59 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently the developer of the iGEM 2007 community website, and this
message is aimed primarily at OWW developers.  In know there has been
discussion in the past about combining or merging the iGEM page and wiki
with OWW, and this email is not about that.  It is about how information is
organized on the wiki, specifically, how the same information is presented
by different labs or teams.

As far as I understand it, besides using templates and categories, there is
no way to really structure the content on a mediawiki page.  For example,
every team on the iGEM 2006 wiki provided a picture and a project abstract
somewhere.  The information was available, but not accessible without
visiting every single team's page and actively looking for it.  This year,
one of our goals for the iGEM 2007 website & wiki is to make sure this kind
of information is tagged, or marked-up, or annotated, or put in a special
area on a template, or by some other method standardized across all the
teams.  If information common to all teams is standardized, it will be much
easier to find and reuse, from both a human and machine perspective.

I haven't learned much about it yet, but I want to point out
microformats<http://microformats.org/about/>to OWW developers.  If you
already know about them, please let me know what
you think.  Here's popular definition from the microformats website: "simple
conventions for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized
development." They are basically just standardized xhtml tags, and so should
be easy to integrate with mediawiki content.  The biggest hurdle would be
making them simple for users to use.

I think microformats might help standardize wiki content, so I wanted to
make sure they were on your radar and also invite any comments or
suggestions for other means of structuring or standardizing that content.

Thanks,
Mac Cowell