[OWW-SC] 'Publishing' on Pre-print services like arXiv.org

Drew Endy endy at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 7 12:14:23 EST 2007

Hi Julius,

Thanks for leading this / taking things forward.

Here are some comments from my own perspective, starting selfishly
with the community that I am based in and as a OWW user.

I am very keen to have a preprint server for the synthetic biology
community.  I am also very keen to reduce (as close to zero as
possible) the transaction costs associated with moving papers from OWW
and a pre-print server to a peer-reviewed journal.  (as one point of
reference, I am spending about 12 hours of my time dealing with a BMC
journal trying to get a manuscript into the proofs stage).

So, I'd like to see arXiv.org set up a synthetic biology section.  I'd
also like to see Nature Preceedings do the same (does anybody have a
sense for how Preceedings is doing?).

Simultaneously, I'd like to see one or more journals commit to
considering papers that have been published on pre-print servers.
Specifically, for the synthetic biology community, I think that we
should target Molecular Systems Biology, Journal of Biological
Engineering (although they are BMC and I'm worried about transaction
costs), and the relatively new IET journal that publishes the iGEM
projects.

Moving to a more meta, OWW strategy level, if OWW can use an existing
preprint server(s), and these preprint servers provide DOIs for their
holdings, then OWW might not need to setup its own DOI server.  To
feel like I have a clue though, I really need to understand what the
preprint servers like arXiv are prepared to deal with.  For example,
if we put a "button" on the top right of every OWW page that said
(Publish!), which resulted in the current edit of the page being
automatically submitted to the correct section of the correct preprint
server (via a collection of toggle boxes that pop up after pushing the
Publish! button, would arXiv and Preceedings be able to deal with
this?  As I'm typing this out, my sense is that OWW needs to set up
it's own DOI server, and that when somebody hits "Publish!" they have
the option of sending it to arXiv.org, Preceedings, any other existing
preprint server that exists and that wants to partner with us, but
also a OWW preprint server (which is nothing more than our own DOI
server).  This will let people DOI whatever they want, while also
building the OWW publishing brand, and providing outlets to existing
publishing channels (this association will also help the OWW
publishing brand).

Finally,, while I am hopelessly biased, I think that the synthetic
biology community provides a good launch community for using a
preprint server in biological research.  The community is young,
vibrant, and full of immigrants.  We can set the standards of practice
within the culture now.  Other existing communities will have a harder
time of this (i.e., if the paper is not published in Cell then it does
not exist -- overstatement I know).

Best,
Drew