[OWW-SC] usernames

M. Yee yeem at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 19 16:52:31 EDT 2007

MIT lets everyone have their little username but assigns each person an
alias, which is always [First initial]-[full last name][index] where
[index] = [index]++ for each duplicate and 0 is omitted.

So, when I first got here, there was some other guy named Michael Yee,
and he was M-yee and I got M-yee1. Then some time ago he graduated and
got rehired by MIT, so now I'm M-yee and he's M-yee1. It's funny, some
combinations are pretty common; I just checked and found S-lee26.

In any case, this way you can let people pick whatever they want for a
username, but still keep track of them in a predictable way...uh, if you
don't mind the redundancy of having two names attached to each person.

Mike