[OWW-SC] today's snafu

Ilya Sytchev ilyas at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 13 15:42:42 EDT 2006

As Sri already mentioned, we have moved OWW DNS settings to Rackspace
yesterday.  These changes should not take more than one hour to become
active - enough time before the changes to the authoritative DNS server
records for the domain are completed by the registrar which takes about
24 hours.  However, it appears that Rackspace took much longer to update
their DNS records.  This has caused some of the users to be redirected
to our test OWW installation at Rackspace which is almost fully
functional (therefore hard to distinguish from the production
installation) but has old data.
My experience with Rackspace has been favorable so far, so I didn't
expect this simple change to be a problem.  Still, I wish I have
monitored the switchover more closely and taken appropriate action when
it was necessary.  I have informed Rackspace about this problem and they
are investigating.

Ilya