[OWW-SC] Fwd: Postgenomic + OWW

Jason Kelly jasonk at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 4 11:33:56 EDT 2006

from postgenomic...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adie, Euan <e.adie at nature.com>
Date: Oct 4, 2006 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: Postgenomic + OWW
To: Jason Kelly <jasonk at mit.edu>

Hi Jason,

The short answer is yes - I'm definitely interested. :)

I think that at the very least it'd be cool to link papers already in the
Postgenomic database to the wiki pages that cite them - we do something
similar already with Faculty of 1000 reviews. As you say, this sort of thing
is currently outside of the current paper-cites-paper referencing system.

Technically speaking, ideally there'd be a feed of recently modified pages
that included the full text of the page (not just the edit): if you're using
the MediaWiki citation plugin (?) then we could get everything else by
looking for that markup...

I don't know how feasible that is on your end: I don't really know an awful
lot about the MediaWiki internals, unfortunately. :(

Anyway, thanks for your mail,

Cheers,

Euan

On 28/9/06 05:26, "Jason Kelly" <jasonk at mit.edu> wrote:

> (1) Commentary about a particular paper (e.g. a summary or critique) -
> this most closely resembles the blog-type content that postgenomic
> currently aggregates.
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/Stephanopoulos:Literature_Reviewed
>
> (2) Reference to a paper in a protocol, material description (e.g.
> media recipe), etc.
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/Bacterial_Transformation#References
>
> (3) Reference to a paper in a research project description (e.g.
> referencing it as prior work)
> http://openwetware.org/wiki/Reshma_Shetty/Thesis_research
>
> What's interesting about the last 2 types is that they are analogous
> to references in a typical peer-reviewed publication.  However, since
> OWW falls outside the normal referencing system, author's aren't
> receiving any real recognition for other scientists citing their work.
>   (e.g. it doesn't contribute to the "citation score" of the paper).
>
> So I'm not sure which of the above sort of content postgenomic would
> be interested in aggregating (if any), but would love to talk more
> about this if it's something you think is worthwhile.  it might
> require a bit more of a technical hack to set it up, since the only
> RSS feed off the site currently is the RecentChanges (e.g. every change
> made to the site).
>
> Let me know if you'd be interested in talking more.  We're available
> to talk by phone or email, whatever works best for you guys.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS