[OWW-SC] Nature Protocols

Sri Kosuri skosuri at MIT.EDU
Sun May 14 23:25:59 EDT 2006

Nature is launching (June 2006) a new online resource for "high-quality"
laboratory protocols.  There will be two main thrusts, peer-reviewed
protocols (subscription based), and a free to access community protocols
section that are posted directly for discussion and comment.

From:
http://www.nature.com/nprot/prelaunch/index.html

Nature Protocols is a new interactive online resource for high-quality
laboratory protocols. Although the site is currently in development, we have
provided two examples of *Nature Protocols* for you to view and included
information about our overall aims and scope.

Protocols will come from a variety of sources:

   - The core content consists of authoritative, peer-reviewed '*Nature
   Protocols*' commissioned by the Nature Protocols editorial team. We
   aim to publish a comprehensive range of protocols being used to answer
   outstanding biological and biomedical research questions. This content
   requires an institutional site licence to access and will quickly grow to
   400 protocols in 2006. Two contrasting protocols are now available in PDF
   format: click here to read Live-cell assay to detect antigen-specific
   CD4+ T-cell responses by CD154
expression<http://www.nature.com/nprot/prelaunch/pdf/nprot.2006.1.pdf>and
   Tricine-SDS-PAGE<http://www.nature.com/nprot/prelaunch/pdf/nprot.2006.4.pdf>.

   - There will also be a free-to-access community part of the site, the
   '*Protocols Network*', containing protocols that are posted directly
   on the site for further comment and refinement. We are currently receiving
   uploads from Nature Research Journal authors, but will be encouraging all
   researchers and suppliers of products and equipment to upload their
   protocols shortly.

Brief details of each protocol type and how to submit online can be found at
'for authors <http://www.nature.com/nprot/prelaunch/authors.html>'.

Protocols will be presented in a 'recipe' style providing step-by-step
descriptions of procedures that scientists can take into the lab and
immediately apply to their own area of research. We will also provide the
tools for the research community to discuss and comment on each protocol
published so that further modifications and improvements can be made. In
this way, Nature Protocols will be a dynamic, interactive resource that
highlights the latest technical advances and encourages the adoption of
refinements recommended by experts in the field.