[OWW-SC] abstract draft

Sean Aidan Clarke saclarke at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 8 19:29:54 EST 2006

This is a draft for an abstract for the MIT Biological Engineering retreat
poster session.  I'm not particularly satisfied with it, so I'm putting it out
for comments and edits.  Write to me or make changes on
http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Poster
Thanks,
Sean

OpenWetWare is a web site created to promote the sharing of information,
know-how, and ideas among researchers and groups who are working in biology,
biological engineering, and related disciplines.  The site provides a place for
labs, groups, and individuals to organize information and to easily and
efficiently collaborate with other community members based on a wiki system of
user-editable pages.  The site is powered by the same software as Wikipedia,
providing a user-friendly interface for creating and editing pages directly on
the site.  Images can be easily embedded in pages, and there are mechanisms for
reference.  All changes are recorded in a page's history, and pages can be
easily reverted to an earlier version.

OpenWetWare provides an intermediate place for recording work, a forum for
discussion pre-publication, and a possible alternative for some types of work
not suited to traditional publishing means.  The site hosts information such as
protocols and past publications, as well as discussions of current issues and
research topics.

There are also distinct advantages for individual labs in using OpenWetWare.
Besides serving as a public face for the group, the wiki can be used to plan
meetings, discuss events, and maintain a common base of information.  The
dynamic nature of the site also means that the lab's presence can be kept more
accurate and up-to-date than a static web site.

Please visit openwetware.org and e-mail admin at openwetware.org to join this
growing community.