[OWW-SC] quick question re: simple wiki?

Sri Kosuri skosuri at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 19 14:39:06 EDT 2006

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean Drew (Do you mean parents or
plants?).  There currently is a barrier to use MediaWiki in that you have to
learn wiki text and familiarize yourself with the interface.   MediaWiki,
WikiPedia, and many in the OpenSource community understand this and are
developing next generation editing technologies (as mentioned, the WikiWyg
project is most developed http://www.wikiwyg.net ).  These editing
technologies is supposed to be increasingly WYSIWIG (What You See Is What
You Get).   You mentioned  that this wouldn't be sufficient Drew.  If this
is not what you mean, what specifically are the barriers besides making
editing more transparent?

There are a few things I could imagine that would help Bob Sauer help on the
wiki.  Streamlining the amount of information presented on any particular
page (instead of having mountains of links at the left and top, have drop
down lists that simplify presentation of what you can do).  We could also
integrate the extensions we use into the whatever method we use to edit,
whether that be WikiText or WYSIWIG (e.g., a pop-up box to cite a reference,
automatic naming given our conventions, et cetera).

Sri