[OWW-SC] please sign steering committee letter of support for NSF BDI grant

Reshma P. Shetty rshetty at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 5 23:05:23 EDT 2006

Hey all,

http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Steering_committee/
Long_term_planning_discussion

As many of you know if you've seen the above page, several members of
the steering committee have been considering how to ensure the long
term sustainability of OpenWetWare.  Our working plan, is that the
steering committee remains in place to ensure that OpenWetWare has an
energized user community and that OpenWetWare itself meets user
needs.  However, we'd like to transfer many of the administrative and
technical burdens now being shouldered by the steering committee to a
core team of 1-3 full or part-time personnel.  These folks would
oversee maintenance of the site and be responsive to the steering
committee's requests for new software and capabilities.

To help achieve this long term plan, we need funding.  We currently
pursuing several options.  One option is an NSF biological databases
and informatics grant application.  Our assumption is that even if
the application itself goes unfunded we can use the document to
pursue other funding sources.

As a part of this grant (which is being submitted by Drew Endy), the
Steering Committee is drafting a letter of support for the grant to
indicate our commitment to helping guide OpenWetWare in the future.

I've written this letter and posted it at

http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Steering_committee/
NSF_BDI_Grant/Letter_of_support

If you feel comfortable and agree with the contents of the letter,
please sign it (electronically) on the wiki page.  If you have
suggestions for the letter, please post them on the talk page.

Apologies for not circulating a draft earlier for discussion and
comment, we've been swamped with getting things done and only had a
chance to draft it today.

The grant is being submitted tomorrow.  For more information or to
leave comments, please see

http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Steering_committee/NSF_BDI_Grant

Thanks,

Reshma