[OWW-SC] Fwd: Registration Information

Jason Kelly jasonk at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 16 11:22:41 EDT 2006

Guy from Princeton who just requested a login, he is setting up their
university wiki -- worth checking out, see email below.

jason

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Koppstein <pkoppstein at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 16, 2006 11:10 AM
Subject: Fwd: Registration Information
To: jasonk at mit.edu

> From: OpenWetWare Admin <admin at openwetware.org >
> Date: Aug 16, 2006 10:36 AM
> Subject: Registration Information
>
> It's great to have you on OWW.

Thanks for the quick response, the id, and the friendly welcome!

> Would love to talk with you about university wiki installations

Same here. By way of background, I work in the "Educational
Technologies Center" in the Office of Information Technology. We
mainly work with faculty. I was at Wikimania and in Cambridge a couple
of weeks ago, and was at the workshops on Wednesday and Thursday.

>   what is the address for the one at Princeton?

 The short answer is isaacnewton.princeton.edu but please note that
this is not yet quite official. We have approval to make it official
but we're awaiting new hardware. When the site does become official,
there will be some changes, e.g. the copyright/licensing is likely to
change -- an interesting topic for future discussion in its own right.
The current name of the site ("TigerWeb") will almost certainly change
to QED, which is why for example the Google search box says "search
qed".

To see how different projects can get their own virtual space, type MG
or UC in the "search" box.

> We've so far avoided having different read/write priveledges for subsets of users to try to keep things more open, but it's certainly something we've been thinking about (we get a fair number of requests for "private" pages from labs).

One of the many reasons it became clear we'd have to provide control
over read-access was copyright. It was also clear that some faculty
and researchers wouldn't contribute unless they had control over
write-access.  Big topic indeed. Although I have done quite a few neat
things on the technical side, I am beginning to think that I should
have spent more time on the "wikifarm" approach.

> You can email me ( jasonk at mit.edu) or the admin list if you want to talk about this stuff (or maybe by phone?)

Phone is good too.

Thanks again!

Peter