[OWW-SC] wiki merge

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Tue Apr 11 16:07:35 EDT 2006

    I've reloaded the dev OWW with a new dump of the iGEM wiki that
    also tries to clean up links by using subpages:
    http://dev.openwetware.org/wiki/IGEM:MIT/2005
    source: http://model.mit.edu/igem/index.php/Main_Page

> This is pretty cool..
> from what i can tell... links to the user pages don't work anymore...
>
> but still pretty neat and will be quite functional...
> sri

    I'm not sure what you mean by the user pages don't work. If you
    were referring to the previously broken links on the people page,
    then that has been fixed. Basically, the problem is that a page
    like User:foo is automatically converted to the page name Foo
    whereas blahblah:User:foo is in the main name space and isn't
    automatically capitalized. I therefore force capitalization on the
    dump-rewrite, which may change capitalization in sentences or what
    not but should make sure links stay good. If you were referring to
    the fact that user pages aren't actually technically in the user
    namespace (so cannot always click on a user's name in a page's
    history), then yeah, I don't know what else we can do about
    that. In fact, if a user on OWW has username Foo and the src wiki
    has an edit by a different user Foo, then the OWW user Foo will
    get the credit for the src wiki Foo edits. It is of course
    possible to rewrite/map user names during the rewrite process, but
    I don't know how easy that would be. Unless you prefix a standard
    thing to usernames (pretty ugly), there'd be a lot of manual
    mapping.

    Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to un-import pages once
    you've imported a dump. If you re-import the same set of pages,
    both copies show up in the history, but only the *older* version
    shows up. Thus, we should make sure we get it right on the first
    import.

    Let me know if you see any problems or any reason we can't move
    this to the live OWW site and shut down the old igem wiki.

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899