[mosh-users] mosh 1.3.0 released (corrected announcement)

Keith Winstein keithw at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Mar 26 15:53:45 EDT 2017

Hello Mosh users and developers,

mosh 1.3.0 has been released. (This is a corrected release announcement
that fixes a typo in the previous email.)

The source code is at: https://mosh.org/mosh-1.3.0.tar.gz
(SHA-256: 320e12f461e55d71566597976bd9440ba6c5265fa68fbf614c6f1c8401f93376)

John Hood was the primary developer and release coordinator and
deserves all our thanks.

Change in version numbering: We have switched our version numbering to
follow the semver.org recommendations. Mosh will increment the minor
version number any time we add new functionality. (In our previous
practice, this release would probably have been called "1.2.7".)

Compatibility: mosh 1.3.0 is backwards-compatible with mosh-clients
back to 0.96 and mosh-servers back to 1.0.9.

macOS binary package: We are releasing a macOS binary package.

https://mosh.org/mosh-1.3.0.pkg is an amd64 build for 10.10 and later.
(SHA-256: a423fcb5aab7079e20b03cfa5e8623bb89391087dd5492d68947c89a39eee80c)

However, we encourage macOS users to install via MacPorts or Homebrew,
instead of using the binary package, in order to receive automatic upgrades.

Bugs: Please let us know of any problems at the GitHub issue tracker,
at https://github.com/mobile-shell/mosh/issues. The developers can
also be found on IRC at <irc://irc.freenode.net/mosh>.

The full change log for this release:

===

* New features:
  * Change website URLs from http://mosh.mit.edu to https://mosh.org.
    (Keith Winstein)
  * Add --no-ssh-pty option for Dropbear compatibility and other issues.
  * Switch to semantic versioning, making this version 1.3.0 instead
    of 1.2.7.

* Platform support:
  * Added nonce-incrementing test.  (Keith Winstein)
  * Add build-source-package.sh for Debian.  (Keith Winstein)
  * Fix CPPFLAGS handling possibly causing curses detection failure.
    (John Hood)
  * Add an Appveyor/Cygwin CI build.
  * Improve warning-flags detection for 'make distcheck'.  (John Hood)
  * Improve robustness of regression tests.  (John Hood)
  * Support OpenBSD pledge() sandboxing.  (John Hood)
  * Use backward-compatible name for AES in AppleCommonCrypto, fixing
    builds with older OS X SDKs.  (John Hood)
  * Detect clock_gettime() and CLOCK_MONOTONIC carefully, fixing
    OS X 10.12 + Xcode 7.3 builds.  (John Hood)
  * Support older versions of Perl, back to 5.10, fixing RHEL 5 builds.
    (Anders Kaseorg)
  * Add a Travis OS X CI and release build.  (John Hood)
  * Add --help and --version, enabling Automake's 'std-options' checks.
    (Anders Kaseorg)
  * Add a simple smoke test not requiring tmux, to help validate builds
    on older platforms including RHEL 5. (Anders Kaseorg)
  * Check for presence of clock_gettime() for OS X, where the symbol
    may not be resolved on older OS X versions.  (John Hood)
  * Fix a memory alignment issue in OCB with ARM/Neon. (Carlos Cabanero)
  * Mosh now runs correctly on Bash for Windows with Windows 10 Insider
    builds 15002 and higher. (No change in Mosh)
  * Other minor platform compatibility fixes for Mosh sources and tests.
    (John Hood)

* Bug fixes:
  * Work around a pty buffering issue causing failed connections on
    FreeBSD 11, or with Dropbear.  (John Hood)
  * Restore '-p 0' option for OS-selected UDP port bindings.  (John Hood)
  * Shell hygiene fixes, including better quoting of pathnames.
    (Anders Kaseorg)
  * Fix typos in project docs.  (Jakub Wilk)
  * Fix excess newlines on mosh client startup/shutdown.  (John Hood)
  * Exit gracefully, closing session, on pty write or ioctl failure.
    (John Hood)
  * Fix two bugs that caused mosh-server to consume excessive CPU in
    certain circumstances.  (John Hood)
  * Fix bug that caused text copied from mosh-client to paste as long
    lines joined by spaces.  (John Hood)
  * Documentation improvements. (chenxiaoqino, Ashish Gupta)
  * Use getuid(), not geteuid(), for correct getpw* lookups.  (John Hood)

===

Best regards on behalf of the Mosh team,
Keith Winstein