[mitreid-connect] CVE-2020-5498

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Fri Jan 17 15:48:44 EST 2020

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the report. The value of the isAdmin flag on the front end would allow you to see the pages, but the APIs would still return empty information rendering the attack fairly pointless. We don’t read or trust the value of isAdmin from the front end when calculating the information to return to the front end for display or manipulation. We use that flag in the front end to change which pages are made visible on the UI, and turn off admin-only controls that would simply fail for a non-admin user. Yes, they’d get to see the admin pages if they change this variable, but they wouldn’t get access to anything they wouldn’t see already. As in, they don’t actually gain admin access. Ergo, I’m not convinced that this attack is meaningful. Can you please help me understand if this allows for data access beyond what the user is intended to be able to see?

That said, the cross-site scripting issue should be fixed anyway as it could allow for manipulation of the page where you don’t want it to.

Thanks,
 — Justin