[mitreid-connect] RP can not access to IDP after switch to HTTPS

Michael Furman michael_furman at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 8 11:10:29 EDT 2016

Hi all,

RP successfully work with IDP when the connection is over HTTP.

I configure IDP to us https as the following:

1)  Configure HTTP server to use HTTPS

2)  Configure "issuer" in server-config.xml to use HTTPS

3)  Configure all relevant URLs in servlet-context.xml of RP (simple-web-app) to use HTTPS.

Unfortunately, after the switch RP can not access to IDP after switch to HTTPS.

I have the following error:

HTTP Status 401 - Authentication Failed: No server configuration found for issuer: https://<...>/openid-connect-server-webapp/<https://%3c...%3e/openid-connect-server-webapp/>

Please note that I can access in the browser to https://<...>/openid-connect-server-webapp/<https://%3c...%3e/openid-connect-server-webapp/> and also to https://<...>/openid-connect-server-webapp/.well-known/openid-configuration<https://%3c...%3e/openid-connect-server-webapp/.well-known/openid-configuration>

What can be the problem?

Also, I have catch the HTTP requests by fiddler and I see that 401 is returns from RP (it means the request even not redirected to IDP)

GET http://.../simple-web-app/login HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

GET http://.../simple-web-app/openid_connect_login?identifier=https%3A%2F%2F...%2Fopenid-connect-server-webapp%2F HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized