[mitreid-connect] How can I confirm that a client's token is genuine?

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Tue Dec 13 20:40:26 EST 2016

Use token introspection. It’s defined in RFC7662 and supported on /introspect on the server.

You’ll need to register the wrapper for your REST API on the server as a protected resource. You can either do this dynamically using the existing UI or you can do it in the admin UI and check “allow token introspection” in the config.

One caveat: by default, the server will only let the resource know about scopes associated with the token based on which scopes the resource is registered with. This is to limit information leakage to resources about a token’s potential targets. So if you’ve got a token with scopes A, B, C, and a resource server with scopes A, B, then introspecting that token from that resource will yield A, B even though the token itself also has C.

This behavior can be overridden by replacing the introspection services.

 — Justin