[mitreid-connect] Exception during cleanup

Luiz Omori luiz.omori at duke.edu
Tue Sep 1 10:50:35 EDT 2015

OK, I managed to reproduce the problem: it’s related to duplicated ID tokens being created when multiple similar requests are received within the same second.  In our case we use the Resource Owner flow for some legacy web services calls and that exacerbates the problem. At some point the code does a select on the access_token table using the token_value column and checks for number of rows returned, enforcing 1.

This token appears 38 times in the access_token table when we ran a stress test that makes 50 parallel Resource Owner requests (test environment):

eyJraWQiOiJyc2ExIiwiYWxnIjoiUlMyNTYifQ.eyJpc3MiOiJodHRwOlwvXC9sb2NhbGhvc3Q6ODA4MFwvbGRhcC1vcGVuaWQtY29ubmVjdC1zZXJ2ZXJcLyIsInN1YiI6IkNBVFNfZGFzaHNydiIsImF1ZCI6WyJncm93dGhfY2hhcnQiXSwiZXhwIjoxNDQxMTE0NTMzLCJpYXQiOjE0NDExMTQ0NzMsImtpZCI6InJzYTEifQ.NVSFBd9onhEUgMDC46KAJx5M_CaBy-INuy0MqodLqOCO7YQ5N9ZARG9BKemjv8G0Aj8aIYOa-CJeUYycv6Uk1qqVTcXX9jgpX7-f9xK4T4MxcOhhTwRqkvT8l7yWL5uAm1uG7lcKKHw6h2RGed4x9zej1Zb0PFiHTZHkPRl6OWwJvmaZySd0CZM3VVVtW4HIB45vNURE--ee5zkH1ezoJOfR0JlFFEaQfcTnW-PGBcNri6huk1fosUwLxoZE8-YGjwWVzKyy_1qmZBhS9Yg1ch6uXuxaXjG96_ITZQVoIyFwWyMi3rXOiwdgAzN_7aZOt8HSxNm7OUqFxZEr6JChbw

The concern is the growth of that table and since at least in MySQL version the token_value is not indexed (we could fix it locally) potential slow down over time.

Is there any workaround that we could use on our production system? Unfortunately, as opposed to my local system, our production environment is using HSSQLDB which most likely will prevent us from running delete SQL commands while the system is running.

Maybe we can add JTI to the ID tokens to make them unique?

Regards,
Luiz