[mitreid-connect] Roles in OpenID (and when using LDAP)

Matt Hughes hughes.matt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:36:03 EDT 2015

Ahh that does clear things up a bit, however I was thinking of building something a bit differently and was hoping for your thoughts on it.

I want the AuthServer, backed by LDAP, to understand the mapping of LDAP filters to ROLEs for each client. On the “Edit Client” screen, there would be a new tab: Roles. Administrators for an app would list all the roles and a series of LDAP filters that grant those roles:

ROLE_ADMIN = (uid=bob_the_admin)
ROLE_USER = (guid=pa_users)(uid=bob_the_admin)
ROLE_EMAILER = (uid=bob_the_admin)
The AuthServer would perform that mapping and return the set of roles the user is authorized for. Then, the client app can just look at the token to see what roles are valid.

This role info would presumably be encoded into the JWT id token. When the client gets the id token from the authorization, it stores it in the user session. Every time a request is made from the end user, you look up the id token and extract the set of roles.

The benefit with this approach, is you centralize the mapping of users to roles. So for folks deploying the application, rather than editing some Spring config file, they can use a UI to administer. I’m not asking for this change to be incorporated into your project, but does this seem like a good idea with regards to OpenID Connect architecture?