[mitreid-connect] Help needed running the simple client.

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Tue Feb 17 07:38:11 EST 2015

Yes, without those passwords the server wouldn't be able to open the
certificate stores. And they have to be stored in plaintext or the
server can't replay them to the keystore to unlock it. It really is
pretty silly and doesn't protect much in practice. That's why with our
server and client we now use JWKS files that aren't password protected
-- we think it's better not to pretend there's security where there isn't.

The discovery happens in several steps. First, the client needs to look
for an issuer, and it does this (in this case) using the Webfinger
protocol. That's the first query you're seeing below. Once it gets past
that stage, it looks for the server configuration, which is the second
part. If you already know the issuer, then you can skip the webfinger
lookup and go straight to the server configuration. To do that with the
MITREid client software, you need to configure an IssuerService that
won't try to do webfinger on you. You can try the StaticIssuerService if
you know the issuer ahead of time (and it's only one), or the
ThirdPartyIssuerService if you want to pass it in with the 'iss'
parameter. The HybridIssuerService class will take in either the 'iss'
parameter directly or the 'identifier' parameter and do Webfinger. This
is what's configured out of the box in SimpleWebApp, but the login page
always passes in the 'identifier' parameter and the
WebfingerIssuerService isn't smart enough to punt on errors (yet).

So try the static service and point it to one server for now, then try a
custom login page that passes the 'iss' parameter to the hybrid service,
if you need multiple IdPs.

Hope this helps,
  -- Justin