[mitreid-connect] Introspection endpoint - scopes check

Justin Richer jricher at mit.edu
Thu Aug 27 06:48:21 EDT 2015

The rationale behind this functionality is that you don't want to
inadvertently leak information to a protected resource about the overall
reach of a token if the token is usable beyond that particular protected
resource. Let's say I have two resources, "A" and "B", and they have
associated scopes, "a" and "b". If the client gets a token with scope "a
b" and plays it at "A", we might not want "A" to inadvertently discover
that the token could also be used at "B".

I would not recommend removing the check entirely, /however/: the
behavior has changed in version *1.2.0* such that the server doesn't
return an error anymore, but instead returns only the scopes associated
with the protected resource. In the scenario above, when "A" introspects
the token with "a b", it gets back a response that only includes "a" in
the scope field, while "B" would get back a response that only includes
"b" in the scope field of the same token.

  -- Justin