[Mitai-announce] Boston Amnesty International Event - Friday 10/24, 6:30pm

Marisa Sotolongo sotolong at mit.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:29:27 EDT 2014

Hello all!

MIT Amnesty International will be cancelling our discussion series this
week. We encourage you to, instead, attend one of the following two events:

*1. The Amnesty International Northeastern Regional Conference*

This is being held in Boston this year! Follow this link
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/events/regional-conferences/northeast-regional-conference>
to get more information about the events or to register! There are events
running all day on Saturday, from a panel on the Campaign to End Gun
Violence in the US, to an interview with Ugandan LGBT activist Clare
Byargaba.

On Friday evening, at 6:30pm in 32-124, the Regional Conference will also
be holding a Ferguson Community Conversation, hosted by MIT Amnesty
International. Please RSVP to either myself <sotolong at mit.edu> or Cynthia
Gabriel Walsh <cgabriel at aiusa.org>

*2. Underwater Dreams Film Showing*

*Underwater Dreams* is a documentary following the story of how four
undocumented high school students built an underwater robot and defeated
the MIT engineering team at a national collegiate competition. The film
will be shown at 6:00pm on Friday, October 24th, in 10-250. From
7:30-8:30pm, a panel discussion will be held, featuring Mary Mazzio, the
director of the film, Junot Díaz, author and professor of writing at MIT,
and two MIT students, Sofía Campos ('15) and Jose Gomez ('17), the
cofounders of the group DreaMIT.

As always, if you have any comments, questions, or concerns, or if you
would like to present at our weekly discussion series (Friday evenings at
5:30pm in Walker Memorial), please email us at mitai-exec at mit.edu.

Website <http://amnesty.mit.edu/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/amnestymit>