[Mitai-announce] Vigil for Malala Yousufzai tomorrow, 7:30 at Harvard Square!

Leonid Chindelevitch leonidus at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 17 21:54:16 EDT 2012

Dear friends,

You may have heard the story of 14-year-old Malala Yousufzai, who was shot
in
the head on her school bus on October 9th for promoting the education of
girls.
She continues to fight for her life in a UK hospital.

Brigham Young once said that "You educate a man; you educate a man. You
educate
a woman; you educate a generation."  Yet, as of 2009, 35 million girls
around
the world were not enrolled in primary school (UNESCO), and beyond primary
school the statistics are markedly worse. Education, a right which so many
of
us take for granted, is still out of the reach of too many of our little
sisters across the globe.

Join us at Harvard Square for a candlelight vigil to show our solidarity
with
Malala and girls around the world who are fighting for their right to an
education.

*When: Thursday, October 18th, 7:30 PM*
*Where: Harvard Square, plaza near the T-stop/Out of Town News*
We will gather in the small plaza near the main entrance to the Harvard Sq.
T-stop. Bring a candle if you'd like, or we will provide one.

We apologize for the extremely short notice, and *earnestly request you to
spread the word among friends and colleagues.* You will find the facebook
event
at http://www.facebook.com/events/454350491270558/.

Thanks and kind regards,
Leonid, on behalf of Asha for Education Boston/MIT Chapters
--
http://youtu.be/ZT8z0TRYgtM - please watch and share!