[Mitai-announce] AI November 5th 7PM Documentary and Panel Discussion regarding events in Syria!!

Yiping Xing yipingx at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 4 17:38:22 EST 2012

________________________________
Hey guys! If you have time on the 5th (tomorrow!!), we would love to see you come to our Amnesty International event. The food, the documentary, and the panelists will all be awesome! (You will not be disappointed :) Whether or not you have been following the events in Syria, we would love for you to come. It's a great way to learn about human rights and the events currently happening now. Attached is the poster for the event! Help spread the word to friends, and have a great week!
Amnesty International Presents

The Suffering Grasses
"When elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers."
A film directed by Iara Lee that explores the causes and various effects of the current conflicts in Syria.

A documentary screening and panel discussion

November 5th, 2012. 7PM in MIT E51-345
Catered ethnic food will be provided for dinner!
Panelists include:
Omar Offendum -- A Syrian American hip-pop artist, architect, educator, and activist
Professor Nasser Rabbat -- MIT Aga Khan Professor of Islamic Architecture History
Dr. M. Yana Kana, DDS -- Activist who worked in a hospital for Syrian refugees in Turkey

"This documentary explores the Syrian conflict though the humanity of the civilians who have been killed, abused, and displaced to the squalor of refugee camps. In all such conflicts, large and small, it is civilians--women and children, families, and whole communities--who suffer at the leisure of those in power."
For more info, please visit: http://www.culturesofresistance.org/suffering-grasses