[Mitai-announce] Boston human rights film festival

Elan Pavlov elan at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 30 17:54:58 EST 2010

Human Rights and Sex Trafficking: A Film Forum

When: December 2-5
Where: Brattle Theater, Cambridge
Sponsored by: Boston Initiative to Advance Human Rights
For full schedule and information, and to purchase tickets, go to
http://www.bitahrfilmforum.org/

Recognizing the need for greater public and academic awareness of sex
trafficking, Human Rights and Sex Trafficking: A Film Forum will explore the
power of film in effectuating a movement to combat commercial sexual
exploitation and modern-day slavery. The forum includes movie screenings, Q+A
with the film makers, panels, many expert speakers, a reception, and other
mixed events.

Films include:

Fatal Promises, Redlight, The Selling of Innocents, The Day My God Died,
Anonymously Yours, Very Young Girls, Preview of Holy Ghetto, Sands of Silence,
Red Leaves Falling, Playground, and the short films Daughters and Sons:
Preventing Child Trafficking in the Golden Traingle, I?m a Victim Not a
Criminal and Sold in America

A partial list of speakers is below:
Ambassador Swanee Hunt, Eleanor Roosevelt Lecturer in Public Policy at
Harvard?s Kennedy School of Government.
Joshua Rubenstein, Northeast Regional Director of Amnesty International USA
Taina Bien-Aimé, Executive Director of Equality Now
Brigitte Cazalis-Collins, founder of the Friends of Maiti Nepal
Lisa Goldblatt Grace, Co-founder and Director of the My Life My Choice Project
(MLMC)
Virginia Isaias is a survivor of human trafficking. Kidnapped on a trip to
Mexico by a sex-trafficking ring, she managed to escape and come back home to
the U.S. Isaias is the subject of the documentary film project Sands of
Silence, which will be screening at Human Rights & Sex Trafficking: A film
Forum on Sunday, December 5th.
Cherie Jimenez, founder and director of Kim?s Project
Siddharth Kara is an Affiliate of the Human Rights and Social Movements Program,
and a Fellow with the Carr Center Program on Human Trafficking and Modern-Day
Slavery. He is the author of Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern
Slavery
Rachel Lloyd, Founder and Executive Director of Girls Educational and Mentoring
Services (GEMS) ster?s degree in applied urban anthropology from the City
College of New York.
Phillip W.D. Martin, senior investigative journalist for 89.7 WGBH Radio,
Boston?s NPR Station and Executive Producer for Lifted Veils Productions, a
non-profit journalism organization dedicated to exploring issues that divide
(and unite) society.
Karen McLaughlin, chair of ISPAC?s Global Committee on the Prevention of
Victimization and the Protection of Victims
Audrey Porter, Assistant Director and the Coordinator of Survivor Services of
The My Life My Choice Project (MLMC)
Maria Suarez is survivor and activist. She was sold at fifteen for $200 to a
Mexican witch-doctor after arriving for a summer visit in California from her
home in rural Mexico.