[Mitai-announce] Fwd: Destination Freedom Symposium 2010

Elan Pavlov elan at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 3 14:18:15 EST 2010

----- Forwarded message from humantraffickingstudents at gmail.com -----
    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:04:51 -0500
    From: Human Trafficking Students <humantraffickingstudents at gmail.com>
 Subject: Destination Freedom Symposium 2010
      To: mitai-exec at mit.edu

Dear MIT Amnesty International Chapter,

My name is Jared Sholk. I am a freshman at Northeastern University and a
Team Member of Human Trafficking Students. I'm writing to ask for your
assistance in proliferating a call for student presentations and attendance
at an upcoming student organized event. Thank you ahead of time for any
assistance you can offer.

 On April 7th Human Trafficking Students will be hosting their annual event,
 the Destination Freedom Symposium at the Harvard College Student
Organization at Hilles in the Radcliffe Quadrange (59 Shepard St.,
Cambridge).  The event will engage students with academic and volunteer
opportunities, highlight current and related research and writing, showcase
actors and organizations working in and around the field of modern slavery,
and advocate for innovative engagement with the subject among diverse
parties.

Featured academic and practitioner experts in the fields of modern slavery
and human trafficking will be speaking and presenting to promote
academic advocacy
and action. Dr. Thomas Burke of Mass. General Hospital, a lead researcher in
the field, will deliver the keynote address. Advocacy groups like the
Firefly Project and practitioners like MataHari, and of the course
student groups
like Harvard College for Free the Slaves, will present booths and will be
available to talk.

One of the primary portions of this year’s event will be student
presentations. We invite students to present their past, present, or
future research within the field in short 5-10 minute presentations. More
information on these student presentations can be found at
http://destinationfreedom.webs.com/callforpresentations.htm.

 May we ask for your support in the form of outreach? We would be extremely
thankful if you can forward this email with link, and call for
student presentations to any applicable individuals and student groups.  This
includes students, but also researchers and authors within the field that
wish to showcase their work via booth presentations, book release tables,
and formal presentations.

More information about Destination Freedom can be found at
http://destinationfreedom.webs.com/. A pdf poster that can be hung anywhere
and everywhere can be found at our website
http://www.humantraffickingstudents.webs.com/.

We look forward to hearing back from you and seeing you on April 7th. Feel
free to direct any questions regarding Destination Freedom to this email or
my personal email jsholk at gmail.com <http://mc/compose?to=jsholk@gmail.com>, and
please feel free to contact us at any time.

Best,

Jared Sholk

HTS Team Member

----- End forwarded message -----